Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Diversity Spotlight: Susan Boyle


Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle took the internet by storm in 2009 when she sang a rendition of Les Misérables’ “I Dreamed A Dream” on Britain’s Got Talent. After that performance, Boyle became a singing sensation, selling more than 14 million records worldwide.

Boyle is now using her success to speak out about her diagnosis of Asperger syndrome, a form of autism. Boyle was recently diagnosed in 2012.

“Asperger’s doesn’t define me. It’s a condition that I have to live with and work through, but I feel more relaxed about myself,” she said in the interview. “People will have a greater understanding of who I am and why I do the things I do.”

More than 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder. April is National Autism Awareness Month, which is an opportunity to promote autism awareness, autism acceptance and to draw attention to the tens of thousands facing an autism diagnosis each year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment